INSPIRED by a friend and fellow travel writer’s blog – No Impact Girl – in which Lou Southerden is trying to reduce her impact on the planet, I’ve decided to devote a blog to environmentally friendly ways to find men.
Here are my Top 10 suggestions:
1. Hide in the recycling bin and wait until Tuesday morning, around 5am, when the garbo comes around. While waiting, and if you’ve been sorting through your rubbish properly, you’ll have plenty of newspapers to read to keep you company and very few cabbage leaves attached to your head. When your hear the roar of the truck, jump up like a jack-in-the-box and say “surprise”. Don’t forget to accept the compliment when the garbo points out you are not trash.
2. Go to an airport. But don’t fly. Anywhere. Flying = bad carbon pollution. Sitting on one’s bum = moderate visual pollution. Spend the entire day in the departure lounge with your recycled water and banana (the skin will later become compost) and strike up conversations with handsome strangers looking like they are going somewhere interesting. Try not to look disappointed when he says he has to rush to catch the red eye to Bangkok. You know there is no red eye to Bangkok.
3. Visit your local library. Among all those recycled books which have been read by hundreds before you, you’re bound to find someone lurking between the shelves. So what if he’s 90 and thumbing through the 1970s Playboy collection? At least he can read. Unless he’s 90 and hanging around the children’s books. Move on. Fast. And call the police.
4. A nudist/eco retreat. What could go wrong? There can be no lies, no subterfuge, just let your body do the talking. If he’s a hard-core Greenie, you don’t even have to wax! There will be no surprises when you get your man home, you already know how his extremities cope with cold water.
5. The beach. Take a frisbee (made out of bamboo, rather than plastic) and start throwing it. Men seem to love playing frisbee at the beach. Once they realise you have no one to throw it back to you, they’re bound to join you. Unless a mangy dog gets there first in which case try to act cool and pretend the dog is yours.
6. Walk. Everywhere. Doesn’t matter how far you have to walk, just keep walking. Afterall, you’re not going to meet anyone sitting inside the confines of your air-con car singing Celine Dion now, are you? If you can’t walk, cycling is also a great option, however I fear whizzing past someone at speed is not conducive to snappy pick-up lines. Go back to walking.
7. Funerals. Not your own. Not even someone you know. Complete strangers. What could be more environmentally friendly than watching someone go back from whence they came? Don’t pick a cremation. All that smoke ash cannot be good for the environment. Because you are not emotionally involved with the deceased, you’ll be in a much better position than any other single woman at the funeral to make your move on any vulnerable men. And who on earth is going to question your attendance at a funeral?
8. An environmental rally. Nothing screams sexy more than angry protestors. Imagine the testosterone. You may have to wait for your knight in shining hemp to be released on bail should he be arrested, but he’ll be worth the wait. He loves the planet and all her foibles. Imagine how much he will love you.
9. The Great Southern Ocean. If you can hang in there with the whales, eventually a group of hunky eco warriors will come down and save you all from the evil spear guns of the Japanese whalers. Don’t, whatever you do, wear a black wet suit. It might, however, get a little chilly. Take a cardigan.
10. Not on the computer. Who ever met someone on the computer? How many trees and brain cells are we killing sitting on these things for hours on end? Get out there. Hug a tree. You never know who might be hugging the other side. OK, so he’s a deranged escaped mental health patient. Go to the next tree.
While The Global Goddess may have her tongue planted firmly in her cheek about environmentally-friendly ways to find a fella, she takes the issue of the planet, and what we’re doing to it, seriously. We need to learn to love Mother Earth. Check out No Impact Girl at www.noimpactgirl.blogspot.com for some serious ways to do your bit.
20 thoughts on “Ten eco-friendly ways to find a fella”
Dear GG…I have a possible solution to you seemingly futile quest to uncover the perfect man. Have a sex change.
You mean, again?
Love it 🙂 And I’ll have you know by the way that I met mine at an environmental rally of sorts – a gathering of eco-divers. So its possible you’re on the right track! And collecting good karma points along the way for saving the planet – a win/win surely?
De nada . . . You have a great sense of the absurd/humor.
That, my friend, is a terrific compliment!
Very funny, Goddess, but would it it work in reverese? Boy wants girl.
I suspect if a bloke tried half these things he would be arrested for stalking…anyway, men don’t need to try, there is an abundance of beautiful, smart, funny women out there.
Goddess, you are one of few who can make me snort out loud! Thank you. Need a tissue to clean the ‘puter screen.
Get your party on, sista. We’ve got ourselves a funeral to get to!
Loved it Goddess. So many good ideas in there! I was just thinking about the testosterone laden protestors, maybe a trip to Logan could be a fertile hunting ground, right now for you and other eco friendly, partner seeking goddesses.
Thank you. The Goddess is a make love, not war kinda gal.
I take your point and it is a good one, don’t forget that there are also hunky police there!
I think I’ll stick with the wheelie bin for now.
Great post, GG, and thanks for the mention! No Impact Girl actually met her beau while walking – in the Southern Alps in New Zealand – so that tip works for sure! Happy eco-man-hunting 🙂
Ah, more proof in the pudding!